Transport Planner – Newark
Posted on: 23rd August 2022
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
We are looking for an experienced Transport Operations Controller to join our experienced and successful transport planning team based at our depot in Newark. You will be joining a dedicated planning team that supports Abbey’s customer British Sugar.
Shift: Monday to Friday 04:00 to 14:00 rotating with 14:00 to 00:00 with expectation to be flexible to cover shifts/weekend gaps as required.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Abbey Logistics has provided bulk transport services for British Sugar since 2016 and the two companies have achieved many successes thanks to their partnership-led approach. The Transport Operations Controller is expected to maintain this close working relationship through daily interactions with the British Sugar and Abbey Logistics teams.
The role is responsible for the real-time execution and implementation of the transport plan and management of our driver and fleet resources to deliver first class customer service. You will work closely with British Sugar, their customers, and the driver delivery teams.
The successful candidate will provide operational planning and process skills which maximises the utilisation of vehicles and minimises hours and mileage and ensures delivery on time targets are met.
Additional responsibilities include utilising driver agency resources when required, communicating with our customer and their customers, compiling daily forecasts and performance reports and liaising with third-party hauliers.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage a cost-effective and efficient transport delivery plan that has the flexibility to cope with any real-time events.
- Ensure effective communication of any issues (for example late deliveries, delays, incidents) to internal & external colleagues
- Be the point of contact & escalation for out of hours Customer Service enquires when required.
- Consistently strive to improve contract transport performance
- Administration of the transport management system
- Optimise spare capacity within the fleet
- Building excellent customer relationships
- Monitor entries for amendments or incorrect information
- Assist in ensuring the operation and systems meet or exceed all necessary Health and Safety and legal requirements in relation to the Company’s Operating License
- Deputise in absence of Transport Planner.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience of working in a transport planning team
- Fleet planning or implementation experience
- Understand SLAs/KPIs and other reporting mechanisms.
- Methodical and organised approach to work, able to prioritise effectively.
- Flexible attitude and approach.
- Strong IT skills (Excel, Word and Outlook) with the ability to learn new systems.
- Understanding of vehicle compliance and drivers hours legislation
- Financial awareness.
- A good standard of formal education.
- International & UK CPC holder (Preferred).